Wednesday 3 March 2010

Queen Of The Hareem

Having arthritis and a total hip replacement under my belt I need to take a certain amount of exercise to stay mobile. Whilst I don't mind working up a sweat, the words "practical clothing" scare the living daylights out of me. 
Man, I don't do comfy clothing, even my (vintage) wellies have high heels. Although the folks at my Pilates and yoga classes couldn't care less about how I look there's still the problem of the mile-long walk to the centre to contend with.

Luckily I discovered hareem pants on a trip to India and have never looked back, stocking up on half a dozen pairs whenever we hit the street markets. Accommodating, comfortable but still with a modicum of style and a degree of funkiness - no branded trakkie bottoms for this girl.

Turquoise hareem pants (Colaba Causeway, Mumbai), TopShop Vest (Jumble sale), Vintage ankle boots and  suede waistcoat (both charity shop finds), Hat (River Island) customised with a tweed corsage (made by me) , Money belt (Car boot sale).


I found the CD money belt in the bottom of a box of bric-a-brac at a boot sale a couple of years ago. I'd always assumed it was a fake until an assistant in the Christian Dior outlet at Heathrow's Terminal 5 spotted it and told me that it was the real thing. Not bad for 50p.

Handmade bag (Made with jumble sale curtains.)



Congratulations, my lovely friend, Helga on passing your driving test. Lady, you well and truly rock!

21 comments:

  1. Now you see, if I could look that awesome while working up a sweat (take that as you will), then I could never be unhappy again. :)

    I love your hat and want to steal it! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there-the Dior money belt is utterly adorable-what a find indeed, you blow me away!! Loving the harem pants, you rock this style!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love hareem pants - you totally rock yours though. Mine are brought out in summer with a vest top and big flower in the hair.
    Love that money belt and your hat. Great colours in the outfit.

    X x

    p.s look out in the post next week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a lovely outfit, which is awesome considering its your workout attire. Lol. You look fantastic. I especially love those hareem pants. I wish I had a pair! They are a really pretty color too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am officially scared of wearing hareem pants but you make them look so good and so wearable!

    And you suit that hat so well, it's lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You totally rock the harem pants. Wish I could pull that look off. The dior money belt is uber cute and what a find. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, these harem pants rock. They are officially my favorite pair I have ever seen! They are just perfection! You look totally fantastic in them! So cool.

    Oh, and totally awesome about the money belt! Wow wow ee!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally jealous of your ability to wear harem pants! My daughter and I both bought some black ones the other week and they went straight back.
    Fantastic hat too

    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello's I can't believe I've only just stummbled upon this blog, I too am a thrift whore he he (it's sort of my nickname, I heart charity shops, and junkshops!!).
    Gawd I just know I'm going to be forever catching up on your cool posts.
    peace & bows...
    prettyneons :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The colour of them harem pants is amazing. You pull of the look so effortlessly

    Hope your having a great week x

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have rocked hareem pants with applomb! They suit you perfectly and excellently styled as usual! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow you look great even when going to exercise, how do you do it? I am taking notes! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your work the hareems so much better than I do! And yours are original Indian, whereas mine as ASOS. Still, we are hareem sisters today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I sewar,you are the only person I've seen REALLY rock hareem pants!You hot tamale!!!
    Goodness,you've had a bad trot,having artritis AND a hip replacement!!Crikey!!Keep up the booze,it keeps the joints lose!!
    Helga xxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha,I meant SWEAR!!
    Snigger! Off to have lunch with my boy now.
    Love,love,love,Helga! xx
    O,and thank you for the big congrats!!I'm so damn proud!!!x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! I must must dress best better when heading to the pool - there are clearly no excuses x

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fab colour on you! Love the hat! You certainly are Queen of the Hareem lady!
    Netty
    x

    ReplyDelete
  18. You always look so stylish, I couldn't picture you in tracky bums!
    Vicki xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aw, shucks...thanks, gang!
    Vix
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. the long dress & vest are fab. reminds me of
    Cher. that black striped jacket is divine.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix